This is a new online support service from RNID – your feedback will help us improve it.


How to apply for benefits

How to apply for benefits

If you are deaf or have hearing loss, you may be able to get certain benefits to help you cover the cost of daily life.

To check what you may be able to claim, use the Benefits Calculator on the Turn 2 Us website.

Benefits you might be entitled to

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is for people aged 16 or over who have not reached State Pension age. It can help cover the costs caused by disability or long term ill health.

Read our information on Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Attendance Allowance (AA)

AA is for people over State Pension age. It helps people who have a severe physical or mental disability with personal care or supervision needs.

Read our information on Attendance Allowance (AA).

Access to Work

This benefit covers the cost of any assistive devices or communication support you need to do your job. 

Read our information on Access to Work.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

If you have hearing loss due to your experience at work, you could be eligible for this benefit. 

Read our information on Industrial Injures Disablement Benefit (IIDB)

Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

If your deafness or hearing loss was caused by service in the armed forces, you may be eligible for compensation. 

Read our information on the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

War Pensions Scheme

If you have hearing loss that was caused by military service or wartime experiences, you may be eligible for compensation. 

Read our information on the War Pensions Scheme

How to claim benefits

Each benefit has its own claiming process. Once you’ve decided what benefit you need, you will usually have to fill in a form (either online or on paper), or make a telephone call. When you need to call a benefits agency, they will either offer text relay calls or make adjustments for you.

Get support making a benefits claim 

Benefits claim forms can be confusing and complicated. There are a number of services that can help you fill in the forms.

If you live in Scotland, you can find advice and support for benefits at the charity, Deaf Action.

Contact Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can give you free, impartial and independent benefits advice. Find your local bureau to view a list of phone numbers or arrange an appointment.

For phone calls, there is the option to use the free speech-to-text software Relay UK.

Contact us

If you are deaf, have hearing loss or tinnitus and need free confidential and impartial information and support, contact RNID.

We’re open 8:30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Page last updated: 18 August 2022

Back to top