Old name, new purpose: why we’ve gone back to RNID

Discounted travel

If you are deaf or have hearing loss, you might be able to access public transport support services and initiatives for disabled people.

You and your travelling companion could get a third-off rail travel, and you might be eligible for free or discounted travel on local public transport.

Discounted rail travel

You can get a Disabled Person’s Railcard if you live in England, Scotland or Wales and are registered as deaf with your local authority or use hearing aids. 

The card costs £20 for one year or £54 for three years, but you’ll get one third off most adult rail fares at any time of the day for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain.

If you’re travelling with another adult, they’ll also get one third off their rail fare, so you can save money for a friend or family member too.

To prove you qualify for a Disabled Persons’ Railcard, you’ll need to show evidence that you are registered as deaf or use a hearing aid.

If you are registered as deaf, you will need to get a Social Services official stamp on the form to confirm this.

If you use a hearing aid, you will need to provide either:

  • a copy of the front page of your NHS battery book, or
  • a copy of your dispensing prescription from a private hearing aid provider.

To find out more and to apply, visit the Disabled Person’s Railcard website

If you live in Northern Ireland, you won’t qualify for free or discounted rail travel due to being deaf or having hearing loss, but you will qualify if you are a senior citizen or meet other eligibility criteria.

Find out more about discounted rail travel in Northern Ireland (nidirect)

Local authorities and transport providers may provide an alternative way for you to apply for a bus pass or railcard if their application process is not accessible for you. Ask them what reasonable adjustments they can make. Find out more about about your right to reasonable adjustments.

Discounted bus travel 

You may be able to get a disabled person’s bus pass if you meet the eligibility criteria set out by your local authority.

There’s no central provider of this scheme, so get in touch with your local authority to find out if you qualify:

More about transport support services

To find out more about transport support services for disabled people, visit GOV.UK or nidirect.gov.uk if you live in Northern Ireland.

If you need help with benefits

Find out what benefits you’re entitled to

To find out which benefits you can claim, use the online Turn2us benefits calculator.

Get support in British Sign Language (BSL)

To get benefits advice or support in British Sign Language (BSL), contact the deafPLUS Advice Line They also have an online service to help you find local benefits advisors.

Get in touch

We’re unable to provide benefits advice at RNID, but we’ll let you know where to get the information and support you need. Contact us

Page last updated: 8 March 2024

Back to top