Old name, new purpose: why we’ve gone back to RNID

  1. Home
  2. Information and support
  3. Benefits
  4. Personal Independence Payment and Adult Disability Payment

Personal Independence Payment and Adult Disability Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and Adult Disability Payment (ADP) are benefits for people of working age who need help with the extra costs arising from a long-term health condition or disability.

If you’ve reached the age you can get your State Pension, you need to apply for Attendance Allowance instead.

What PIP and ADP are

If you need support to communicate because you are deaf or have hearing loss, you may be able to get PIP or ADP to help cover the cost of the support you need.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is for people living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Adult Disability Payment (ADP) is for people living in Scotland. If you live in Scotland and you currently get PIP or Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), you’ll be automatically moved to ADP by summer 2024 by Social Security Scotland.

The amount of PIP or ADP you may get depends on how your disability or health condition affects you.

Who can claim PIP

To claim PIP, you must live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. You must be aged 16 or over and have not yet reached State Pension age.

You can claim whether you are working or not, and it’s paid regardless of whether you have savings. 

You must also:

  • have a long-term health condition or disability that causes difficulties with activities related to daily living or mobility, or both
  • have had difficulties caused by ill health or disability for 3 months and expect them to last for at least 9 months, unless you’re terminally ill with less than 6 months to live
  • meet certain qualifying residency requirements.

Who can claim ADP

To claim ADP, you must live in Scotland and:

  • have a disability or long-term physical or mental health condition or terminal illness
  • be between 16 and State Pension age.

You can still apply if you’re waiting for a diagnosis.

How to claim PIP or ADP

There are 3 steps to the claims process:

1. Make a claim

You can claim PIP by telephone, textphone, Relay UK or video relay if you use sign language.

Someone else can make the call for you, if cannot use the telephone, but you must be with them so you can confirm that the person supporting you has your permission to make the call.

Find contact details for claiming PIP (GOV.UK)

You can claim ADP online or by telephone and paper.

Find details for claiming ADP (GOV.UK)

2. Fill in the ‘How your disability affects you’ form

You will be sent a ‘How your disability affects you’ claim form, along with notes to help you fill it in. 

If you are claiming PIP or ADP because of your hearing loss or deafness, provide detailed information when you answer the questions about the communication difficulties you face and the help you need to communicate. Use the ‘extra information’ boxes to give more details.

It doesn’t matter if you don’t currently get communication support. Explain the help you need, not the amount of help you actually get.

Give examples of the communication difficulties you face and the help you need in different situations – for example:

  • when visiting the doctor 
  • using public transport 
  • while at work 
  • at the shops
  • for social and leisure activities. 

Explain how often you need this help and how long you need it for. Give as much detail as you can.

Once you’ve completed your form, return it in the envelope provided.

3. Have your needs assessed by a medical professional

An independent health professional will assess the level of you help you need. In most cases, this means a face-to-face medical assessment. It can take place in your home if you prefer. 

During the assessment you’ll be asked about the help you need in relation to everyday activities, including the help you need to communicate verbally.  

How a decision is reached

A PIP or ADP case manager will review all the information available and make a decision on your claim. They will write to you to explain how the decision was made. 

If you qualify for PIP or ADP, you’ll be told how much you’ll get and when you’ll be paid.

You will also be told when your benefit will be reviewed so that you continue to get the right support.

If you disagree with the decision

If you disagree with the decision made on your claim, you can challenge it. This is called asking for a mandatory reconsideration. 

To find out more about this process: 

Support our communities

In our hearing world, being deaf, losing our hearing or developing tinnitus has life-changing impact. We’re here to ensure everyone can access the information and support they need. Just £5 covers an enquiry made to our Contact Centre.
Donate to RNID

If you need help with benefits

Find out what benefits you’re entitled to

To find out which benefits you can claim, use the online Turn2us benefits calculator.

Get support in British Sign Language (BSL)

To get benefits advice or support in British Sign Language (BSL), contact the deafPLUS Advice Line They also have an online service to help you find local benefits advisors.

Get in touch

We’re unable to provide benefits advice at RNID, but we’ll let you know where to get the information and support you need. Contact us

Page last updated: 8 March 2024

Back to top